One of the many benefits of owning a new home is having the freedom to personalize your living space. Unlike renting an apartment, homeowners can change, modify, and tweak the interior of their home to their hearts’ content, from a new paint job or flooring installation, to intimate modifications to the master bedroom and bathroom.
Lighting is one of the cornerstones of a well-designed interior, and one of the biggest decisions you will make as a homeowner will involve how you control and manipulate light in your home. When carefully and artfully selected, lighting allows you to set a specific mood for each room, project a temperature, or highlight areas or objects you deem noteworthy.
As a new homeowner, you may be overwhelmed by the amount of lighting choices available. At Arcadia Ridge, we strive to make each decision as easy as possible for you. Here are some common types of lighting that will spark your imagination.
This type of light functions as the name implies. Its main purpose is to blanket a targeted area, space, or room in a comforting light, bright enough for you to move about and do things normally, but soft enough to blend into the background without distracting the eye. Here are a few types in this category:
- Track Lights. Used in a series along bar conductors, these work well with most ceilings and rooms.
- Chandeliers. These work best with taller ceilings, or in strategic locations, such as above a dining table.
- Wall sconces. While these are versatile and can enhance almost any room, use them sparingly to avoid harsh light.
Known for being small and concentrated, task lighting is designed to light the areas where you perform work around the house; areas where you need a stronger, finer source of light without disturbing the overall ambiance of the room. Reading, cooking, and sewing are a few examples of activities that demand this type of lighting. Variations of task lights include:
- Track Lights. While they can also be used for soft ambiance, track lights are designed to highlight work areas such as a kitchen counter.
- Lamps. Lamps come in a variety of different sizes, shapes, and styles. When placed effectively lamps can enhance the appeal of a room.
- Under-cabinet Lights. Easily the most subtle task light, they can be fixed beneath a kitchen or bathroom cabinet to swathe a counter in bright, clear light.
This is where lighting meets art. Also called “dramatic lighting”, this approach intentionally demands attention and focuses our eye on a specific object, such as a painting or sculpture. Show off your valuables with these types of lights:
- Wall Lights. Versatile and varied in size, shape, and style, these lights allow you to showcase any piece of art, large or small.
- Recessed Lights. Similar to track lights, recessed lights are great for “wall washing” (when you cover a specific wall with light), or highlighting a large design or painting.
Ready to start lighting your home today? Arcadia Ridge wants to make sure your new home is exactly how you want it to be. For more information on moving into your new home, contact us today!